Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sad News

Wow. David Foster Wallace has committed suicide. I may not have fully appreciated his work in the intense way so many of his numerous fans do, but I certainly appreciated his creative mind and how he boldly pushed literary writing to new places.

I remember his essay “Consider the Lobster” in my beloved Gourmet magazine which resulted in the most “letters to the editor” the magazine has ever received, pro and con. He didn’t convince me to give up eating lobster…but he came close.

I always imagined he’d be one of those guys pushing the boundaries and irritating me (half out of jealousy) until we were in our “golden years.” Sad, sad, sad.

Update: Here's a copy of "Consider the Lobster" in a pdf file: http://www.lobsterlib.com/feat/davidwallace/page/lobsterarticle.pdf

Work-in-Progress

DC-area author Leslie Pietrzyk explores the creative process and all things literary.